Dr. Gary Royce Wisner was a board certified orthopedic surgeon practicing as Orthopedics Sports & Workers’ Medical Group, Inc,. at 621 S. Ham Ln. Suite A. in Lodi, California.
He was licensed to practice medicine in California, Alabama, and Nevada. He claims to be affiliated with Adventist Health Lodi Memorial, St. Joseph’s Medical Center, and Dameron Hospital. He is a graduate of Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara Medical School.
In November 2016, representatives from the California Department of Justice, Division of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse (DMFEA) were notified by multiple government offices of suspected fraud by Wisner in overbilling the Medi-Cal and Medicare programs.
DMFEA’s investigation into Wisner’s alleged misconduct revealed Wisner would administer X-rays even in routine office visits and would X-ray multiple parts of a patient’s body – regardless of whether it had any relation to a patient’s medical condition.
On May 30, 2018, a grand jury indicted him on 11 felony counts of insurance fraud. for bilking insurers out of more than $700,000 for allegedly providing unnecessary and excessive medical treatment for orthopedic patients. A criminal complaint was filed on July 9, 2018 following the indictment.
On July 23, 2018 the Attorney General filed a 31 page accusation before the Medical Board of California seeking a revocation of his license. The Accusation alleged “gross negligence” in a separate cause for each of eight of his patients. Three of them were being treated for “work related” injuries. The Accusation in essence claimed that he committed gross negligence in his care and treatment when he obtained excessive, non-medically necessary and repeated x-rays of remote areas unrelated to the place of injury.
The Accusation to revoke his license is still pending, and Wisner is still licensed to practice medicine in California.
But the California Attorney General just announced securing a guilty verdict following a two-week jury trial in Sacramento County Superior Court, Wisner was convicted on Thursday, June 16th, of 10 felony counts of health care insurance fraud.
Evidence presented at trial showed that over the course of an approximate four-year period, Wisner subjected ten individual patients to hundreds of unnecessary X-rays at his clinic.
The Attorney Genera’s announcement reports that Wisner is also the subject of an independent criminal complaint filed by the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office for worker’s compensation fraud. The case is still pending and Gary Wisner is presumed innocent until proven guilty of those charges.
This investigation was made possible through collaboration with the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office, and the California Department of Insurance.
The California Department of Justice’s DMFEA protects Californians by investigating and prosecuting those who defraud the Medi-Cal program as well as those who commit elder abuse. These settlements are made possible only through the coordination and collaboration of governmental agencies, as well as the critical help from whistleblowers who report incidences of abuse or Medi-Cal fraud at oag.ca.gov/dmfea/reporting.
DMFEA receives 75% of its funding from HHS under a grant award totaling $50,522,020 for federal fiscal year 2021-2022. The remaining 25% is funded by the State of California. The federal fiscal year is defined as October 1, 2021, through September 30, 2022.